Since I'm not a teacher, I have to be pretty intentional about finding ways to spend time with kids here. Fortunately, it's the interaction with the kids and the opportunities we have to share our lives with them that really drives what we're doing, so being intentional isn't really a struggle. In fact, despite my absolute incompetence and ignorance, this Fall I agreed to be the assistant coach for High School Boys Soccer (feel free to chuckle, because it's definitely funny). Beth is also assistant coaching High School Girls Volleyball, which she is really enjoying. Fortunately for her athletes, she actually knows a fair amount about volleyball...I know just north of nothing about soccer.
While I certainly don't have much to offer in terms of teaching elite soccer strategy, it's already shaping up to be a great way to build deeper relationships with more of our high school guys, so I'm pretty excited. My role is basically to be another (somewhat) responsible adult to have around to help run drills, keep things organized, etc. In many respects, I'm like an adult version of a team manager; not exactly a high profile coaching position, but I'll take whatever I can get.
So far it's been a neat experience. We had our first game tonight against Vienna International School's Junior Varsity team, which we won 5 to 3. Our guys looked pretty good overall, especially for their first game together as a team. We have a fairly young and inexperienced team, so it's going to be a blast to see how they improve over the course of the season. This was definitley a solid start!
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hmmm...I thought you were all about soccer all these years.
Wish we could come to the games!
Any "Wrong Way Ronnies" on the team?
Just make sure the water bottles stay full Jeffery.
Post a Comment