Each year the night's festivities culminate in the beloved "pie in the face" contest, a tradition that truly seems to transcend cultures. The way it works is "willing" teachers are selected and put into several groups, 3 teachers per group. During the festival, folks can stop by the pie in the face booth and cast their "vote" for the group they would most like to see get a pie in the face by buying a ticket. By voting, they also are automatically entered into the drawing to see who gets to toss the pies. In the end, the group that raises the most money is rewarded with pies to the face. All the proceeds go towards the school's development fund (we are trying to raise enough money to build a small gymnasium).
As luck would have it, this was my year. I narrowly escaped "winning" last year, and thus was able to enjoy the pie flinging from a safe distance. Not so much this time around. I tried to add a video file to this blog for your viewing pleasure, but I couldn't get it to upload. Instead, I'm posting a few pictures of the carnage (before, during, and after):



5 comments:
NICE! I'm so happy you "won" this year! Seriously, those are great pictures and you're a great sport. I miss seeing you both around!
Love, Heidi
I'm just glad that someone besides myself was pied this year.
Nice action shot! Looks like fun. Maybe we should incorporate a similar tradition in our family celebrations when you return home.:)
Nice action shot! Looks like fun. Maybe we should incorporate a similar tradition in our family celebrations when you return home.:)
Well, it is good to know that my many months of petitioning in Vienna has paid off.
Post a Comment