Friday, April 10, 2009

Evict = the Edict

Last week we got confirmation that the tenant in our house back in Idaho has abandoned the place. This is both good and bad. Good in the fact that said individual moved out on his own without us having to go through a lengthy eviction process. Bad because it left us in a bit of a lurch, and holding the bag on a couple month's worth of rent.

Fortunately, the house was left in pretty good shape, so now we're in the process of getting it cleaned up and "ready" for a new tenant. Finding that new tenant will be the tricky (and potentially expensive) part. That being said, anyone out there interested in renting a house? Just had to ask.

Dealing with this housing situation has been a bit frustrating. I feel like it's important, though, to remember that nowhere in the Bible is it said that being a follower of Jesus leads to a life of smooth sailing (or abundant tenants). In fact, the Bible tells us the opposite, that trouble WILL come--it's just a natural output of life running its course. I say this only to emphasize that faith in Jesus doesn't mean the immediate gratification of our desires, which I think sometimes gets misinterpreted by folks. In this specific case, being Christians doesn't mean we'll necessarily find a tenant for our house within a short (or even long) period of time.

What being a follower of Jesus DOES mean, however, is the opportunity to have a life of abundant joy regardless of circumstances or hardships. Is this housing situation a bummer? Of course, and it's okay to lament about it (check the Psalms for some examples of serious lamenting). In fact, a couple days ago I was whining to my brother about how I don't really feel up to the task of finding a new tenant again, and that's true.

But inside, despite the poor economic/housing market and its immediate impact on us, we still have this unnatural joy! This is shocking to me. I'm a fairly cynical person by nature, so to be able to face adversity and remain filled with joy just doesn't fit with the way I tend to think about things. Again, enter Jesus. This joy only comes from Him.

In a way I guess I'm glad for this whole housing debacle, as it's another opportunity for us to reflect on what really matters, and another chance to celebrate the joy, peace, and hope that Jesus has brought to our lives. It seems the "evidence" of this joy becomes more tangible when it sticks around despite an onslaught of crummy circumstances. Of course, simply having this joy doesn't mean the housing situation will just "go away," but it's extremely comforting to know the joy we have won't ever just "go away" either. I'd rather have the joy than have the tenant any day.

No comments: