Monday, October 5, 2009

sickness, it'(snot) so nice...

As I sit here I can't help but wonder what the record is for volume of snot produced by a single human nose during a 24-hour period. The Stocketts are generally blessed with large proboscises (I really wish it was probosci instead), so I think this may be providing me with a distinct advantage as I approach what must be the two gallon mark. I'll spare you any actual pictures.

Human illness is an interesting thing to me. In fact, any sort of ailment or injury is interesting. I never appreciate how much a normal functioning nose (or hand, or toe, or eyelid, or fingernail) means until it stops functioning normally. It's kind of amazing to think about everything internally working together. People in the business world love to overuse the word "synergy" to describe this team concept. Personally, I'd rather just think about how cool God is to have orchestrated all this stuff. There's a great quote by Ralph (Where's) Waldo Emerson that sums up my feelings on this: "All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen."

I feel like we, as a species, know enough about how things work in the physical world that we really CAN'T discredit God's hand in creation, but must marvel all the more at it. Invent a primary color? Check. Create matter? Check. Develop natural properties like time, space, and light? Check. Provide a sustainable ecosystem for all created life? Check. Develop an infinite expanse to demonstrate my power and glory (aka weight or significance)? Check. Remind humanity of its frailty by throwing in an occasional runny schnoz? Check.

God is pretty cool.

Anyway, right now my synergy seems to be lost. I'm hoping it finds its way back to me soon.

1 comment:

lynn halsey said...

Great thoughts in this post! And I agree wholeheartedly. We take the miracle of how our body functions for granted until something goes wrong. Feel better soon!