We had a meeting this past week at VCS to talk about the concept of discipleship among our high school students, particularly the high school guys. I have a heart for discipleship, so I was really excited to be a part of the meeting.
My interest in the idea of discipleship started during my days at Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), where over time I found myself "discipled" largely against my will. I describe it this way because when I first arrived at NNU in 1999 I wasn't keen on Christ. In spite of my upbringing, which was blessed by the prayers and love of an incredible family (particularly my mother), I wasn't all that interested in following Jesus because I thought the cost was too high. I was selfish and comfortable, and didn't like the idea of Jesus rocking my boat with all his parables and impositions.
But while at NNU I learned more about the life and person of Jesus through exposure to the culture and values held by the university and my peers--I was indirectly discipled over time.
I think this is kind of a unique thing, and not something easily replicated. I never experienced a one-on-one discipleship relationship, but through rubbing elbows with genuine Christians my own age I became increasingly aware of the differences between my life and theirs, and the Lord used this as a means to pursue me and mold me. My experience doesn't match the typical model for discipleship, but that just goes to show that the Spirit is really the one who does the work, not us (a truth for which I am most grateful).
Since that time I've seen a variety of views and approaches used for discipleship. I've worked with middle and high school church youth groups, helped lead a YoungLife club and Campaigners group, been a part of small group Bible studies and accountability groups, been involved in Christian book studies, and even had a couple of secular jobs focused on working with and developing youth. Now I find myself in a position where much of that experience is blended in my role here at VCS.
The interesting thing to me is that I can look back at my own experiences and still feel completely inadequate. And that isn't just false humility talking. The only thing I know about discipleship is that seeing Jesus lived out in the lives of people is what made the difference for me. In that way, I see every day here as an opportunity for discipleship, and hope to have some small impact in the lives of these students through living my life in honor of Christ.
Please join me and our staff in prayer as we seek to disciple these kids. And may VCS be a place where Jesus is glorified not just directly through our chapel times and Bible classes, but indirectly through the lives of all our staff and teachers.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You have my constant prayers for you and VCS. I pray the seeds you are planting will someday sprout and grow, and that a great harvest will come about because of what you and Beth are doing there. As always, I'm blessed in hearing about what you guys are doing--which helps my lonely heart for you. Love you!
Post a Comment