Sunday, August 2, 2009

Good Morning!

Over the years I've learned there is a veritable smorgasbord of variables that help determine the quality of each and every morning. Here's a sample list, in no particular order: amount of coffee available, quality of said coffee, breakfast options available, quality of breakfast selection, number of hours slept, quality of sleep, hot shower availability, mood of pet, mood of wife (crucial), temperature of living quarters upon awakening, day of the week (hooray for weekends), amount of time available between waking up and first scheduled obligation, type and amount of toothpaste available, facial hair status (having to shave reduces any morning's enjoyment), schedule of the day's succeeding activities, and many more.

However, each of these factors pales in the face of what I've come to believe is the ultimate determinant for early morning happiness: the absence or presence of Jet Lag. I've traveled a bit over the last handful of years, but have never experienced a real Category 5 case of jet lag. At least, not until a few days ago. Now, however, I'm on my fourth consecutive day of waking up between the hours of 3 and 4 a.m. Here, in the midst of this maelstrom, I find myself longing for something as simple as being out of milk or having to deal with a hot water shortage. Perhaps I should view this as preparation for fatherhood? Or, perhaps more cynically, as a small glimpse into hell?

In any event, I'm starting to look more and more like one of the extras in Michael Jackson's "Thriller," except my dancing isn't quite as smooth (I blame lack of sleep). Hopefully I can get on some sort of regular schedule soon!

2 comments:

The Chapmans said...

Hip hip horay for Thriller extras and YoungLife club :)

m c i l r o y f a m i l y said...

ha!!