Our work here in Vienna has not been without its difficulties and problems. One of the difficulties we've had has been finding the best way to keep up with our friends and family. We've tried Skype, e-mailing, newsletters, blogging, mailings, and phone calls, but whatever we try just doesn't seem to fill the gap left by being far away from the folks we love. I guess I'm perplexed by this. In many ways the world we live in today is tiny, particularly when compared with the world as it was 100 or even 50 years ago. I can have instantaneous conversations with folks from just about anywhere in the world--complete with video--with the push of just a few buttons. But as cool as this is, no amount of technology seems able to replace a handshake or a hug. I guess the world is still a pretty huge place after all.
While talking about this strange paradox with a friend of mine the other day, we started thinking about what it must have been like to be in ministry during Jesus' day. Specifically, I've been thinking about Peter. The Bible tells us he was married, but I wonder if his wife was on board with his decision to follow Jesus? Did she come along with him during his travels? And what about Paul? He built his life around the edicts of Judaism, but must have had to leave friends and family behind after his experience on the road to Damascus. How did these and other folks back then do it? It's really a miracle that the fledgling early church gained any footholds at all in the Roman empire, especially considering that the message of Jesus' gospel was LITERALLY delivered from place to place on the backs and by the feet of just a small group of folks...
I guess the point is that nothing makes me feel like more of a wuss than to read about the new testament heroes who endured so much for the sake of the gospel. And if Paul could do it through letters, I suppose I can manage through blogging, emailing, and the like.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment